Depending on the coat’s fiber content, how to care for the coat will vary. For the most part, follow these general tips to keep your coat looking great:
- Wear scarves to avoid soiling of the collar, especially for leather and suede. Oily stains from hair and skin can permanently stain fabric.
- Make an effort to clean the coat once during the season and again before storing.
- Follow the care label instructions when cleaning. If in doubt, consult your dry cleaner.
- When storing the coat, use a padded hanger and store it in a well-ventilated closet.
- Avoid hanging the coat by its neck on a coat rack.
- Treat stains immediately to keep them from setting.
If you care for your winter coat correctly, it will reward you with many years of warm and comfortable wearing.